According to the proverb, “Communication is the key to success”, everyone should try to make it more effective in their day to day life. It plays a major role in making your work done not only in project management but also wherever you go.
Likewise, in today’s world, there are many concepts and definitions of communication. But, in the field of project management communication is said to be the “Life Blood” of the project. The venture and the life span of the project continue from day one on the efficiency of the communication network.
Now, talking about the communication related to project management, it is said to be the primary cause leading to the failure of the projects as per Axelos 2019. The project managers should know the common basic language so that they can communicate with the clients as well as with the team without any language barriers.
To work on this barrier, project managers should opt for a certification course like PRINCE2. To communicate well with the critical stakeholders, adopting PRINCE2 will be an advantage as it provides a common language. Another major benefit of PRINCE2 is that it allows the team to clear misunderstandings with well-defined terminology.
Before digging into more about making the communicative project management effective, let’s know the basics about effective project management.
About effective project management
An organization of the project manager should have a firm grasp on budget, sources, personnel, scope, and timeline to dedicate to the given project. The project manager should have the ability to handle unplanned projects and issues to roll back company goals and tasks in progress.
To do the project effectively, the project manager needs to consider all the factors such as different speaking realities, space communication, verbal and non-verbal communication and messages, etc. To communicate effectively, a need for a good understanding of the project manager is a must for communication processes.
To represent yourself and to communicate well is essential. This communication is most in need especially when your organization is expecting more and more project managers to be in the front-line, giving updates, and answering the questions.
Now, let’s see the various reasons for the communication problems faced by an organization.
Reasons for the communication problem in an organization
As we know, communication is a problem in project management. Let’s see the reasons causing the problems for the project managers in dealing with the critical stakeholders.
- Use of wrong communication channels
- Use of the wrong vocabulary
- Not taking enough time for the robust communication management approach
- Not having a pre-business plan.
- Working with remote project managers and teams
- Not using project board effectively
If the above-mentioned roles are not effective, then there are chances of having more communication problems in an organization. Thus, keeping these points in mind and updating your management or organization with the required tools and managers, communication problems can be solved.
Plans for effective management communication
It is critically important for the project manager to communicate with one or many groups that are varying in size and complexity. Based on the stakeholder’s point of view, the project manager and management team can determine the needs of the communication.
There is no use in passing unnecessary information and wasting the time by creating and delivering the information that is a waste of resources. To save time and to put it ineffective communication, the management needs to document and organize the processes, types, and expectations of the communications.
- Concise and accurate communication is essential with the stakeholders as they are always running with the short of time. So, to deliver the main and appropriate information proper stakeholder communication is required.
- The project management team must prepare themselves to answer all the questions clearly with regards to undertaking the whole team seriously.
- The communication structure from where the documents and information will originate and to whom it is sent, and in which modality should be clear before the discussion with the stakeholder.
- Schedule of which points to speak, where and when to speak, should be in proper order so that there are fewer chances of misunderstanding and communication barriers can be avoided.
- Various methods to retrieve informationis needed.
- Effective communication with supplier teams and technical personnel are required to avoid communication issues.
- The customer operation should deliver proper guidance to the customers should be effective and communicate the progress success without any misunderstandings.
For these all, a proper group of different media, language, and messaging, communication approaches needs to be adopted. Following these all instructions, the chances of the project failures can be reduced and neglected.
Steps to more effective communication project management
For keeping the business moving, smart leadership and proper communication are vital for completing tasks and goals on time with clear expectations and directions. The steps include:
- Clearly defined problems
Management of the project starts with precisely having a strong sense to accomplish what the team wants. The leader has to keep an eye on all the basic objectives, budget and should take up the time of the employees for the better outcome of the project.
To avoid the failures and to bring a proper outcome, communication, scopes, tentative objectives should be set to reach the completion of the project on time.
- Have productive collaboration
A good project manager should have the qualities and abilities to set the goals, priorities, schedule of the workers, and steps required to reach the target. In this, two-way communication is required. Effective team management strategies to reach out to the workers for proper guidance, expertise, and feedback is necessary.
- Use of proper tools for progress monitorization
The use of proper software to communicate and to structure the assigned is essential. Using powerful tools helps the management in several ways to view the timeline of the project, to drill the contribution of the members, and to keep track of the real-time reports in specific projects.
Project managers adopting a proper PRINCE2 certification course and processes enable to have a effective communication flow and promote project success. PRINCE2 keeps the management accessible and structured.
Thus, there was an article that would allow the project manager to communicate in a better way without barriers and misunderstanding.