In this article, I will show How to Use Sidecar in macOS Catalina. This year that macOS Catalina released for people with its beneficent new updated feature. And now one of the most popular features which newly added to macOS Catalina is Sidecar. However, Sidecar gives users the ability to use an iPad as a second screen display on Mac. As my idea Sidecar is one of the great experience for Mac users. Before this, we didn’t have the ability to use an iPad or iPod as a second display on Mac. But this time macOS Catalina new operating system is having this ability. Which is simply designed and developed by Apple Inc, with a simple tool. Without using any other tools effectively turn your iPad as a second external screen display on Mac.
However, now you extend your desktop to create lots of work-spaces using an external display. And you can drag and drop your files between iPad and Mac easily. Sidecar gives you the power to use multiple Apps is a single screen display. Therefore, you can easily mirror your desktop to your iPad. The same content or Apps which is running on your desktop can be seen by iPad. This is somehow a great experience and opportunity to share information for a huge presentation.
If you are using a pencil tool for sketching in iPad therefore, the result now you can get in your Mac also. Simply connect your iPad to your Mac Via Sidecar and start whatever you want to do. If you want to bring changes to the documents, in your Mac but it can be a bit longer for yours. Again you can have a great edition on the iPad.
Table of Contents
How to Use Sidecar in macOS Catalina 10.15
Using Sidecar in macOS Catalina 10.15 is much better and easy. However, in macOS Catalina Sidecar is only developed for the purpose to connect the iPad or iPod version into a second screen display. Therefore, you can connect your iPad to your Mac by using USB Cable, Bluetooth, and with a combination of perfect Wi-fi. And the device which you are going to connect into Mac computer Via Bluetooth, or Wi-fi it can have the ability to work far from 10 meters. And as I mentioned for you that in new macOS Catalina Sidecar is designed to turn iPad into second screen display. Why it is not better to use your Mac display in iPad or iPad display in Mac like a sketchbook. Follow further instruction in the article to get more information about Sidecar uses.
- How To Use macOS Catalina full screen on VMware on Windows
- How To Use macOS Catalina full screen on VirtualBox on Windows
What to do before starting Sidecar in macOS Catalina?
While getting newer to something it can be a bit heavy and worthy to know more about its function. Therefore, before going to start Sidecar in macOS Catalina. There are some important requirements that we should full fill that, otherwise, you will not be able to run iPad screen display in macOS Catalina. For example, you must use the recent Mac computer, which should be compatible with macOS Catalina. Sidecar functional with all models of iPad, but your iPad should have an effective screen display of 1,024 x 768 it can be 9.7-inch screen display. A widescreen display which you are running macOS Catalina operating system on that. Because at the same time you are going to display two screens on one screen. By the way, if you are agreeing to use macOS Catalina Sidecar, then go ahead start using. With the screen solutions of Luna display, and Duet display.
Make sure you are running recent Mac’s
However, macOS Catalina with its new features is a heavy operating system. That every kind of Mac’s computer could not handle with this operating system. Therefore, Sidecar won’t work with old Mac’s computer, while running Sidecar in old computers. Then you need to run terminal with some extra tricks, it might be possible to work. But I recommend you to use the latter models of Mac’s computer. Read the below models of computer which can support Sidecar.
- iMac 27-inch (Old or newer model)
- Mac Mini
- Mac Pro
- MacBook Air
However, if you are not having one of above Mac computer. Then Reddit user allows you to use “Terminal” in old models of Mac computer to run Sidecar. While the people they turned on the Sidecar in old models of Mac, then they faced the image qualities. However, to apply Sidecar in old Mac computer, go ahead to Dock and open “Terminal” then apply this below code. The bellow code allows you to turn on the Sidecar icon in the system preferences.
defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true; open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane
Use Sidecar in macOS Catalina 10.15
- Upgrade your Mac to the latest version of macOS operating system, which is macOS Catalina.
- Open system preferences on your Mac: While you are getting updated to the latest version of macOS operating system. Go ahead and open “system preferences”. Then you will see a square blue icon on the left-handed which is called Sidecar, click on that to launch Sidecar.
- Configure your setting and launch Sidecar: Click on the “Show Sidecar” on the left, and “Show Touch Bar” on the bottom, and “Enable double-tap on the Apple pencil”. This is setting configuration of Sidecar through this setting your able to use Sidecar.
- Open Sidecar: Once you have started and launched the Sidecar. Then drop-down under the “Connect to ” and from there select iPad from the main menu. And after clicking on Connect to automatically iPad screen will give a display to your Mac screen. Therefore, you have found the ability to use iPad screen display on Mac.
- There are some more features of Sidecar, which you can be touched during using of iPad display. There are more functional settings which easily you can customize on Sidecar. By a single click, you can allow drag and drop or copy-paste from iPad to Mac or from Mac to iPad.
That’s all about How to use Sidecar in macOS Catalina. I hope that the article was useful and beneficial for you, and you enjoyed it. In addition, if you have gotten something from this article. Don’t forget to share your ideas and give us feedback. For getting the notification of our latest post updates subscribes to your Blog via your email address.