A new macOS? Want to install the new macOS Sonoma? you are at the right place. If you are as excited as me for downloading and installing macOS Sonama and using its wonderful features continue with the blog How to install macOS Sonoma on VMware on Windows PC?. As the latest version of macOS is out you no longer need to wait.
macOS Sonoma is the latest version of Mac OS which was released on 26 September 2023 at WWDC. macOS Sonoma is more updated than the macOS Ventura and has more updated and interesting features. Sonoma is the 14th version of macOS released by Apple. Currently, Sonoma is only available for HUIT-supported devices.
Table of Contents
What are HUIT-supported devices?
The full form of HUIT is (Harvard University Information Technology). HUIT-supported devices are now available for macOS Sonoma cause it’s the latest version of Mac. However, macOS Sonoma has been upgraded in security enhancements as well as expanded functionality for video conferencing and widgets.
macOS Sonoma is available with at least 20GB of hard drive space and complete models below:
1: iMac and iMac Pro later 2019 and later
2: iMac Pro 2017 and later
3: iMac Studio 2022 and later
4: MacBook Air, Mac mini, and MacBook Pro 2018 and later
compatible Macs for Sonoma
- iMac (2019 or later)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- MacBook Air (2018 or later)
- MacBook Pro (2018 or later)
- Mac Mini (2018 or later)
- Mac Pro (2019 or later)
- Mac Studio (all models)
Must to steps:
Before we start the installation of macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC. We need to install and download some needed files so follow the steps below to begin the steps:
- Download VMware Workstation. Now you have two options, here choose the right version VMware Workstation Pro(paid) and VMware Workstation Player(free).
- [Download macOS Unlocker] & Install on VMware Workstation
- Download the macOS ISO file: ISO file having a copy of the of the macOS Sonoma Installer
How to install macOS Sonoma on VMware on Windows
After you are done with the downloading files we will guide you step by step on how to install macOS Sonoma on VMware on Windows PC.</p>
- Step 1. Install VMware Windows or VMware Workstation
- Step 2. Unlock VMware
- Step 3. Create macOS Sonoma VM
- Step 4. Edit macOS Sonoma VMX File
- Step 5. Install macOS Sonoma on VMware on Windows 10/11
- Step 6. Install VMware Tools (optional, but recommended)
Now follow the steps carefully to not miss any step;
Step 1. Install VMware Workstation on Windows
Now here we will suggest you use a VMware workstation player and for that, we need to install a VMware workstation on our device. Also, the VMware workstation is free. You only need to run macOS Sonoma in Windows and Linux.
Find and run the downloaded installer and click Next to start the installation.
- Here agree the License Agreement Condition and Next.
Check the Install (WHP) automatically box and click Next.
Check the box next to Enhanced Keyboard Driver for effective keyboard integration. Additionally, select the option to add other console tools to the system PATH. Click Next.
- Now here select the preferable setting in User Experience Settings and Click Next.
- here you have two options one to accept or change the default installation location. After completing this done and click next.
- Just Press on the install button and then Click Finish to complete the configuration.
- Yes, it and Now for the changes you need to restart the window when it appears.
Step 2. Unlock VMware
As the must step we provide you the link to download VMware Unlocker after you download that now you need to install it to enable the required functions for macOS. when the downloading is done open it and click Extract All then right-click win-install.cmd and select Run as administrator To complete the Patch Tool installation.
Step 3. Create VM for macOS Sonoma
In this step, we will launch Vmware and create a virtual machine proprietary to macOS Sonoma.
- Create a New Virtual Machine: After you are done with the Vmware installation open Vmware and click Create a New Virtual Machine.
- Typical: Click on Typical is Recommended and tap on Next.
- Install the operating system later: click on this option. I will install the operating system later than Next.
- Select Apple Mac OX and then macOS 14 from the drop-down menu and tap Next.
- Add a Name to your Virtual machine and tap Next.
6. Specify the disk size select Store virtual disk as a single file and click Next. 80GB is recommended.
- Customize Hardware click.
- Memory: Increase the Memory to 4GB-8GB for better performance.
- increases the CPU Processor from the menu (Processors menu)
- Click New CD/DVD (SATA) then check Use ISO image file > Browse.
- Now click on the macOS Sonoma ISO file and open it.
- Click Close and tap on Finish.
Step 4. Edit macOS Sonoma VMX File
Now it is time to find your macOS Sonoma virtual machine where you have saved it. Before that, you have to make sure to completely close the install VMware Workstation.
1. After you find your macOS Sonoma virtual machine right-click on a file with the extension of VMX and open it with Notepad.
2. Once it is opened, locate the code Ethernet0.VirtualDev = “e1000e” and replace “el000e” with vmxnet3 to fix the internet settings.
3. Now scroll to the end of this text and at the end insert this code and save the file or ctrl+S it.
smc.version = “0”
Step 5. Power on macOS Sonoma Virtual Machine
Hope you don’t get bored and don’t mix up. It’s the second last step after this only one step is remaining after that you will have installed macOS Sonoma successfully on your Windows PC and can enjoy all of its features.
1. Now it is time to launch VMware Workstation and there you have to select the macOS Sonoma VM and click Power on this virtual machine.
2. After you click on this, the loading line with the Apple logo appears and you have to wait for it to finish.
3. Then the language selection page appears there you have to select your language and click the arrow icon at the bottom right-hand corner.
4. Now a page appears with 4 options you have to Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
5. After Continuing that select Vmware Virtual SATA Hard Drive Media then click Erase.
6. Now in this step, you have to fill in the blanks Like in Name: macOS Sonoma. It’s optional you can name anything you want.
7. Format: Mac OS Extended and Scheme: GUID Partition Map. Click Erase.
8. Now from the top of the page, click on Disk Utility, and from the options that appear there select Quit Disk Utility.
9. Select Install macOS 14 Beta then clickContinue.
10. Here you only need to continue this.
11. Now an option appears, Click Agree twice and counitine.
12. Pick the macOS Sonoma hard disk and click Continue.
When it is complete, you have successfully install macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC. Now only you need to set your macOS Sonoma and we also guide you step by step. So follow the steps below.
Step 6. Setup macOS Sonoma
After following the steps you must have successfully installed macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC. So now you need to configure macOS Sonoma on VMware before using it for the first time. For configuration, you only need to follow the steps below to finish configuring macOS Sonoma on VMware.
1: On the first page, Select your country or region, and click continue. Then select your language and continue.
2: On the Accessibility page, click Not Now, and then on the Data and Privacy page click Continue.
4: Now Agree to Terms and Conditions. Once again select Agree. After that on Create a Computer Account page enter your full name and password then continue.
5: Now you only need to continue. All of them until it is successfully installed, First continue the enable location services page, then continue the time zone page plus analytics page. Then set up your screen time and continue. In here now select your Light, Dark, or Auto, and click Continue.
6: congratulations, Finally you have successfully install macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC</p>
How to install macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC is a common question we were frequently asked in the comment section below. After doing the process on my PC and filing it for you guys this installation blog is ready. Hope you also successfully installed macOS Sonoma on VMware on a Windows PC. If you face any problems you can share them in the comment section below. I love reading your comments.